Learn how to split a worm bin. If you have a healthy, active worm composting bin you can easily split the worms and bedding in two to make an additional worm bin.
Why would you want to split a worm bin?
- You may want to expand your home worm composting. Giving your worms an additional bin will allow them to increase their population and their food waste processing ability.
- You may want to share worm composting with a friend. A stocked worm bin makes a great gift for the right recipient. Make sure they are excited about becoming a worm farmer to ensure the worms aren’t neglected. If they need any help learning about worm composting be sure to share the website! www.wormcompostinhq.com
- Wait until your worm bin is well established. If you have a new worm bin, you will need to wait for 4 to 6 months until the population of your worm bin reaches the limit imposed by the size of the bin. At this time it is ready to split.
- Never split a foul smelling worm bin. Worm bins should never smell bad. If it does it is a sign that the worm bin conditions are out of balance. Splitting a foul smelling worm bin only doubles the problem. Address the problem instead by reading our worm composting troubleshooting guide.
- Prepare a second bin. Either make the bin your self or purchase a commercially available worm bin.
- Move half of the bedding and worms from your first bin into the second bin.
- Add new moist worm bin bedding to each worm bin to bring them up to within several inches of the top of the bin.
- Share your second worm bin or keep it to double your production.
- If managed properly, the worms in both bins will grow their populations to the size that the bin allows.
Now that you know how to split a worm bin, you can make new worm composting bins for all your friends. Remember, I am here to help if you or they have any worm composting questions.
1lb Red Wiggler Worms$49.95
Worm Factory 360 With WormsSelect options$159.95 – $169.95Sale
MAGNET Worm Bin Troubleshooting Infographic: A Simple Guide to Diagnosing and Solving Your Worm Composting Bin ProblemsAdd to cart
MAGNET Worm Bin Troubleshooting Infographic: A Simple Guide to Diagnosing and Solving Your Worm Composting Bin Problems